Thursday, April 24, 2008

Photos from a voyage down the Mexican Gold Coast



The interesting thing about a sailing trip southeast bound down the Mexican Pacific coast is that very little sailing is actually done. While headed southeast, the winds are light and directly astern. As the coast turns from a north/south direction into a mainly east/west direction, the winds simply parallel the coast. Only for a few hours in the late afternoon do the winds back enough to justify using them for motivation. In 3 weeks of traveling, we had the spinnaker up once, went wing and wing for about 20 hours, and, on the return trip, sailed close hauled twice. The balance of the time was spent motorsailing.

Heather Reimer, from the Okanogan Valley in British Columbia, joined Snow Goose for the trip. She also became the motive force behind my addition of a kayak to the equipment inventory. I really will have to learn how to use it. I know it's possible: Heather used it daily!

1 comment:

Bella said...

SO beautiful! I've always wanted to go kayaking...I feel like I'd dump myself out of the kayak!